5 Summer Car Tips to Beat the Heat
Texas is heating up! How can you take care of your car so that you (and it) hold up well in the heat? Try these summer car tips:
- Keep fluid levels up. It’s so important to get enough fluids in hot weather, both for you and your car. Engine fluids carry heat away from critical engine parts. Check your coolant and flush the system periodically. Also, check all hoses for leaks and iffy connections. Additionally, check your motor oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, and brake fluid, to make sure everything is working well in the heat. How are your brakes holding up? If they’re sticking, spongy, or off in any way, give us a call at Brakes To Go. We’ll come by for a quick checkup.
- Keep your tires inflated. Underinflated tires can overheat, making a blowout more likely. Check the pressure in all tires, including the spare, at least once a month – first thing, before you’ve done much driving. Go by the pressure recommendations in your car’s owner’s manual rather than what’s on the tire.
- Keep the air-conditioning working well. If air-conditioning maintenance took a back seat over the winter, it’s time to get serious. If your system doesn’t seem as cool as it used to, get it checked for leaks or any other reason for low refrigerant levels. Replace any filters for maximum airflow.
- Keep the car clean. Even a light layer of dust and dirt from summer road trips or just driving around town can make it hard to see well through your windshield. A good wash and wax also protect the paintwork from the sun’s rays.
- Protect your car and yourself from too much sun. Shield your seats (especially leather) and dashboard from sun damage with an interior windshield cover whenever you park. Protect yourself and your passengers with SPF 30 sunblock (studies have shown that a majority of people get skin cancer on the left side of the body – from driving!) applied every two hours. Invest in a UV-blocking film for the side windows of your car, which don’t block UV rays as well as the windshield does.
Whatever your plans for the summer, stay safe out there with a well-maintained car. If you have any questions about summer car tips and care or need to cross off “brake repair” on your car maintenance checklist, call our San Antonio location at 210-775-6000 or our Austin location at 512-585-1845.