Is Your Car Summer Road Trip Ready?
April 30, 2018 Topic: Safety Tips
Summer is almost here! If you’re starting to plan that long-awaited summer road trip, be sure to add car maintenance to your checklist. It’s important to make sure your car is in tip-top shape before you hit the highway!
The roads get crowded and more hazardous in the summer. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety says June, July, and August are the worst months of the year for auto accident fatalities. Between the greater number of other vacationers out on their own road trips, teenagers just learning to drive, the larger number of cyclists out for fun in the sun, and the greater risk of equipment failure in hot weather, you have a lot to consider in staying safe.
In addition to planning your route and stopovers and making sure you have a copilot to avoid driver’s fatigue, put your mind at ease so you can relax and have a good time by getting your car checked before you hit the road. We recommend that you focus on these key areas:
- Brakes – Well-maintained brakes are your best defense on the road. A simple check of all components will reveal any maintenance needs. Call Brakes To Go for fast, convenient service. Crunched for time before your trip? We come to you!
- Engine – Is your engine working well? Is your coolant level low? Have you changed the oil lately? Avoid common engine issues by checking that all components are running smoothly.
- Tires – Hot weather can be especially hard on tires. Avoid a blowout or flat by looking for wear and tear, nails, and threadbare tread before hitting the road.
- Battery – Inspect and test your battery before starting your trip. It’s tough to tell if a battery is on the brink of failure (though signs of corrosion at the terminals are one clue), but a test will make that clear.
- Electrical – Check your alternator and starter, too, and make sure your headlights and brake lights are working before you hit the road.
Checking these things in advance could save you serious time and money down the road—and a whole lot of headache on your road trip. Make sure your vacation is all about the fun! Not sure if your brakes are in prime condition? In Austin or San Antonio? Call Brakes To Go for a free inspection—on your time and at your location.